January 12, 2018
So...Here comes Episode#26 folks and it's a doozy!!!
In this Episode i had the pleasure of chatting with and getting an insight into the mind of an awesome S&C Coach
" Sami has been a professional Strength & Conditioning coach with Leinster Rugby Academy for the past 10 years, one of Europe’s top professional rugby Academy’s.
He also served as National Head S&C coach to the Irish rugby U18 and U19 men’s teams, the Irish Women’s Rugby team as well as having assisted with the Men’s Senior Rugby team in their pre-season training for the 2011 rugby World Cup.
In GAA Sami has worked at the highest level, serving as S&C coach with Down and Dublin football teams, winning an All-Ireland with the Dublin Senior team in 2011 and the Dublin U21 and Minor teams in 2012.
At club level, Sami has previously been involved with St.Vincent’s GAA and since 2013 Sami has been involved with Cuala GAA.
As well as having a strong background in S&C for field sports, Sami has coached athletes to a high level in the sport of Olympic Weightlifting including the European and World Championships, serving as the High-Performance coach for Weightlifting Ireland from 2014-2016.
Currently Sami works with Cuala GAA, St. Mary’s College Rugby Football Club and St. Gerard’s School rugby and hockey teams as their athletic and performance coach."
- Credit to Braywanderersfc.ie for the extract of Sami's experience
Sami has a fantastic amount of experience from so many areas of S&C .
During his career he has worked with some of the highest level teams in in Ireland in GAA, Rugby, Weightlifting and Hockey to name a few and his success with those sports continues unabated in recent times!
During this episode we got to chat about some of the following :
- Sami's Background and How/Why he got into coaching
- Does he have a particular team that he has enjoyed working with the most?
- His favourite area of Coaching Strength & Conditioning and some examples of why he enjoys working in those the most.
- Sami spoke about some common themes he has seen for creating high performing environments from his work with various teams and levels of Competition over the years.
- Some of his favourite coaches and the best coaches he has worked alongside and currently works with .
- Some areas where he feels we S&C Coaches can improve their service to their teams or individuals.
- His next educational step in both Coaching and Life!
Where to find out more about Sami Dowling
Linkedin : https://ie.linkedin.com/in/sami-dowling-9a5034b7
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/sami_dowling/?hl=en
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/sami.dowling?ref=br_rs
It was an absolute pleasure chatting to Sami and i think we may have some really enjoyable cutting room floor content coming out very soon from our chat so keep an eye out!
Hope you all enjoy the show and if so please click the subscribe button and you can get an update whenever a new episode is posted!
Until next time folks,
The Humble Coach